Dear Aunty / Mummy-Ji of India,
Let’s get together and once and for all decide who is responsible for RAPE…
The 10 NOs:
- No it’s Not Short Skirts!No it’s Not Red Lipsticks!
- No it’s Not Make Up!
- No it’s Not Low Necklines!
- No it’s Not Low waisted Jeans or any Jeans (for that matter)!
- No it’s Not Low tied Saris with showing navels!
- No it’s Not Transparent Saris!
- No it’s Not Her Giggling!
- No it’s Not Her Looking at Boys!
- No (definitely NOT) her “asking for it”!
- Yes it’s Men (who rape)!
- Yes it’s Women and Men like you who justify Rape (giving any of the reasons above)!
- Yes it’s Men Feeling Threatened that their entitlement has been snatched!
- Yes it’s Men who feel that it’s their duty to show Women their rightful plate (them being judge and jury to punish wayward Women).
- Yes it’s Mother and Aunties who seem to have brought up Men Like THIS!
(A Well Meaning and extremely Alarmed Indian Woman)
Women in India need protection if they want to survive and thrive!
The Constitution of India – gives women equal rights and protection. And yet somehow we have managed to reduce the status of women….
Just who did this? How did it happen?
Women need protection from:
- People who think men are superior (which is a very large chunk in India)
- People who degrade women mentally – since constitutionally they can’t
- Moralistic and Judgemental people who throw big words like culture and sanskar. To them I say – the culture and sanskar of India reveres women! I would recommend a lot of research and reading!
- Peoplewho think it’s their duty to “teach women a lesson”. These are by far the most dangerous as they think that it’s their moral duty to show women their true place (by inference a 2nd class citizen)
- People who look at women as “objects”. Now this category is rather diverse so I am splitting the answer into 2 parts. Part 1: people who believe that the female is the property of her father/brother to be transferred to husband and later transferred to son. These people do NOT stop to consider that legally for transfer of property you need documents verified and registered. And that people (man or woman) cannot be ‘transferred’ as ownership over people isn’t legal!! Part 2 : object of desire as inspired by Bollywood. And we off course add Part 1 here since no Object of Desire has the right to have a mind… Right?
- People who are too busy telling all women that they are the weaker sex/gender. Well folks if the girl goes to a gym to lose weight and a boy goes their to lose muscle – there shall be a defined difference in their body type. Also there is like this whole world within our world which believes that girls need not be given the same food and nutrition as boys – so… What does that do to the girl’s health? And finally the girl is taught the sanskar of being “demure” – I sure wonder why we don’t teach all girls to be like Durga
- Women who hate other women and try to bring them down. MIL and DIL relationship, sisters in law etc are the most common examples. But then there are some caustic mother and daughter relationships too. Further women in society are so very quick to judge other women…
Just pause… Just think…
Musings of a Monday Morning – fresh off my table.
Silently I thank the Constitution of India and true Indian Culture which protect the rights of women!
The 3 A Rule – needed after the landmark judgement of SC on 377:
- (Fighting) Angst
- WHAT the judgement is?
- WHY the judgement was needed in the first place?
- WHO does the judgement protect? WHY so they need to be protected?
- WHAT does LGBTQ mean?
- WHY was 377 introduced 157 yrs ago by the British? WHAT was there need?
- WHAT does Ancient India have to say about LGBTQ?
- WHAT do various religions practised in India say today? And what was their historical stand?
- Accepting the LGBTQ community as Humans
- Accepting the LGBTQ as Indians
- Fighting ourselves and our own 157 year old belief systems
- Believing that what the British did historically wasn’t humane
- Fighting society for all LGBTQ people and taking a stand
- And having the ability to admit that probably if we cannot embrace “them” – then we shall “stand aside” and not hound “them”
The SC has upheld their rights to be treated like Indians and Humans.
But the true fight of acceptance begins only now…
Internships are a BOON to the organization and to the Interns themselves – YET why are they are a complete “loss” ?
- People Hire Interns for the wrong reasons
- People do not spend defining “what the Intern should do” and “how to do it”
- People do not define GOALS and ROLES for the Interns
- People are ambiguous about the roles which interns should do
- Interns come into companies for just a certificate
- Interns look at companies just as a ‘value add to their profile’s – and don’t think that they can be absorbed by the same company. Hence their seriousness is low.
Hiring Right Interns – “Rightly”!
- Define a set of roles in your company for which an Intern can work
- Define the kind of interns who would suit the role
- Define clearly what you would offer the intern – stipend or not? If only certificate – then be very specific
- Define timelines during which the intern shall work
- Define rules and regulations for the working of Interns – including items like leave, absenteeism etc
- Define a proper Performance Appraisal System for Interns
- Define PPOs (pre placement offers) for interns
- Define the hiring process
You ALSO need to keep away from biases while finding Interns:
- Gender bias – one gender is better at a job than the other
- Age bias – we never think of old people as being interns
- Educational background as a bias – we don’t look at performance and the right fit – we look at the right college
And now you are ready to go!
Are you one of those women who has at one time with pride or exasperation or annoyance claimed any of these:
- Women can never be true to you if you are a woman!
- Women can never hold secrets!
- I have never ever had a woman friend…
I am dedicating my life experiences (some 11 of them) – to YOU… you who don’t have women friends…
Continue reading Women make BESTest Friends
Dear HR and Recruitment Folks,
Have you struggled with getting the right candidate for the role?
Have you been cribbing with the variety of people applying?
Stop and think – what exactly did you put up in the Job Descriptions…
19 Super quick HACKs which can actually get you the RIGHT and better filtered candidate…
Continue reading 19 hacks to Writing a Decent JD, to get the RIGHT Candidate
I have had a few very shocking revelations across the last 2 months – a period where I have not posted too much here…. but have been spending time “meeting young people”….
Young People = Girls and Boys around the age of 18 to 22 – (Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Bokaro, Dhanbad, New Delhi, Gurgaon, Varanasi)
They have QUESTIONS – which they have not been voicing…
Some Pertinent, Some Relevant, Some complete Rubbish… but they have not been ASKING…
Continue reading WHAT is it….? (Entrepreneurship / Start Up)