Dear Aunty / Mummy-Ji of India,
Let’s get together and once and for all decide who is responsible for RAPE…
The 10 NOs:
- No it’s Not Short Skirts!No it’s Not Red Lipsticks!
- No it’s Not Make Up!
- No it’s Not Low Necklines!
- No it’s Not Low waisted Jeans or any Jeans (for that matter)!
- No it’s Not Low tied Saris with showing navels!
- No it’s Not Transparent Saris!
- No it’s Not Her Giggling!
- No it’s Not Her Looking at Boys!
- No (definitely NOT) her “asking for it”!
- Yes it’s Men (who rape)!
- Yes it’s Women and Men like you who justify Rape (giving any of the reasons above)!
- Yes it’s Men Feeling Threatened that their entitlement has been snatched!
- Yes it’s Men who feel that it’s their duty to show Women their rightful plate (them being judge and jury to punish wayward Women).
- Yes it’s Mother and Aunties who seem to have brought up Men Like THIS!
(A Well Meaning and extremely Alarmed Indian Woman)
Chand was 13 and Chakor was 11 when the talk around their marriage happened for the 1st time.
Both girls had seen many many girls get married from Katihar and claimed to know “many many things” and yet there were things which they never could quite understand.
(Katihar is a district of Bihar)
And they knew way too much…. (thats what their mothers laughingly complained)
Chand was named by her great grand mother on her dying bed as a last wish – and when Chakor came 2 years later in the neighboring house – she simply became Chand’s shadow….
Continue reading O Dulhaniya … Chand-ki-Chakor
Radha – lay quietly weeping on the floor, she had physically curled up like a fetus!
Her hair was a mess, her bangles broken, her clothes ripped, her face battered and bruised, her hands scratched…
Next morning she was woken up by a sound on the door – and she rushed to open it – to realize that she didn’t even have proper clothes on (hers were torn).
A woman and her MIL came in – and sniggered – “Looks like they had fun…”
FUN : This word echoed in Radha’s mind. How the F*** have fun when someone is beating you, cussing at you, tearing your clothes off, scratching you, forcibly entering you…
Continue reading Radha Teri Chunari